This Page

has been moved to new address

Freezer Cooking (part 1-the recipes)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
MommaKristi: Freezer Cooking (part 1-the recipes)

MommaKristi

Friday, February 27, 2009

Freezer Cooking (part 1-the recipes)


I finally got to do my chicken freezer day!!! (I bought everything on tuesday and have been so tired ever since!!). My mom came and helped me so I could stay seated most of the time!!! She was so helpful!! She had not seen my freezer cooking process so I was happy to share it with her (and she helped me with some time saving ideas)!!

I made 4 different recipes (2 of them are new ones) and made 4 meals worth of each. Just a few hours of work and I have 12 meals!!! That will surely help during this bedrest/light duty/disability/postpartum time!!!

I totaled up the ingredient purchases (without the chicken and 2 things of salad dressing that I had in pantry). I divided it by 12 and it came to $3.74 a bag!!! I can't find my Sam*s club receipt (I know I paid 1.97/lb for the chicken breasts *total 24.39 for chicken breasts*). That adds $2/bag for the chicken breast. I believe the chicken thighs were about $2 a lb (not sure how many pounds but I'm guessing it's only gonna add around a dollar or so. So each meal is about $7 or so. And all I need to add is some sort of veggie from our supply of canned green beans or freezer corn (except for the sweet and sour chicken-it has veggies), and rice or couscous!! I'm so excited!!!

I found all these recipes from a OAMC internet loop. I've adapted them to make them more saucy. On cooking day- all that needs done is thaw and throw in skillet and cook!!!


Russian Chicken
Each gallon bag contains:
1 bottle Russian Salad dressing
1 jar Apricot Preserves (Name brand was on sale!!!)
1 packet of onion soup mix



Sweet and Sour Chicken

Each bag contains:
1 bottle French dressing
1 can Cranberry Sauce
1 can water chestnuts
1 packet onion soup mix

and these 2 bags of frozen stir fry veggies were split into the 3 bags.




Sweet and Spicy Chicken (new recipe)

Each gallon bag contains:
1 jar Apricot preserves
1 jar salsa
1 packet taco seasoning (again-name brand on sale for $.78)



Citrus Ginger Chicken
Each gallon bag contains:
1 jar Orange marmalade
2-3 tablespoons honey mustart
2 tsp giner
sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes

I divided up all the ingredients for the "photo shoot" and labeled all of my bags ahead of time. Since I know the instructions (cook in skillet until done) it just has the name and date prepared.


You can also see my spreadsheet for ingredients. I got this from 30 day gourmet. (which is a great reference for freezer cooking!!). It allows me to plan my shopping trips and figure out all my ingredients. The electronic files come with the purchase of the cookbook. I've gotten several recipes from there!!! Check it out!!


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ter said...

hi there, I linked to you from another blog... anyway, cool idea re: freezer cooking. The only thing that doesn't work for me is that I make my own salad dressings. Never use the pre-bottled stuff. But thanks for the link re: spreed sheets.

October 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home