This Page

has been moved to new address

the Market today

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
MommaKristi: the Market today

MommaKristi

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the Market today

Well-Melissa and I did go to the North Market today and I had a great time and learned tons from her!! We first went to the coop and it was pretty much what I expected. She had warned me that it was quite crunchy:). She showed me several different kinds of grains that would be great alternatives to white rice-none of which I can remember right now. (Jason and I eat a lot of white rice and I'm hoping to convert to some sort of healthier side dish-maybe a whole grain). At the coop there was everything possible organic and wholesome. Even interesting books about Vegan eating (which I do not at all do-but it intrigues me in a bad accident kind of way). I did see a lady wearing her child (which is pretty much my limit in crunchy-ness). It was nice to see someone "babywearing" in a practical setting. I mean-I wear Max around the house-but I haven't tried it out in public much. I watched her to see if I could catch any tips or hints in how she was doing it.
Then at the Market Melissa showed me the places where she buys local eggs, milk and meats. I was impressed that in the downtown of a major city you can find local products. There was also many organic vegetables. This is where I'm confused and need to make a decision - which is more important to me - organic or local? I need to do more research but right now I'm leaning towards local. I like the idea of really knowing where my food is coming from. I have though learned about the Dirty Dozen and what actual foods I should look for in organic. It's all very confusing and tough and if anyone has any insight-please comment!! It seems like there is so much more to it-like what it takes for a farm to be "labeled" organic and how much it costs to get that label. At the same time-how can I give Max peaches when I see on my handy shopping guide (click that above link to find it) that peaches have some of the highest pesticide content!! I just want whats best for my family!!!
In the meantime-I'm in the market for a new stroller. I don't want to replace my current stroller-I want one in addition to it!! I want a jogging stroller (a cheap one) so when I walk daily (as I have been) my current stroller (this one only green) stays nicer!! It's funny that I want a new stroller right now-I'm trying to get fit-but in the morning I get to go to Bible study and the lesson for this week is about contentment and greed. Do I need a new stroller? Probably not. Am I rationalizing my desire for more? Maybe... Again-the balance of being a mother....ugh!!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home